September 5, 2012

the gray couch


It's the reason our whole living room changed last February and the reason we went from having a mostly beige house to an all gray house.  It's big and it's comfy and we love it!  Lets take a walk down memory lane with our living room, shall we?  This is the first time I photographed it after moving in 5 years ago:
Clearly this isn't a great picture but it was before we even had any paint on the walls (which feels like forever ago).  Shortly after moving in we painted things and had added some curtains:
It was certainly a colorful space and almost had a tropical vibe.  The colors all stemmed from the artwork that I painted for the walls.  After being in our house for a little over 2 years we decided to put it on the market.  We were hoping to sell and build a custom home.  I repainted the blue wall to tone things down a bit so that it would appeal to more buyers:
A couple of months later we learned that we were expecting our daughter and took our home off the market.  I wasn't sure that trying to sell and build a home while being pregnant was the best idea.  Needless to say I repainted again...

We also replaced our carpet throughout our house that summer.  The carpet wasn't in terrible condition, but our dog Charlie was a puppy at one point and had many accidents on those floors.  I could not get the smell out of some areas and it drove me crazy!  We got a great deal on some discontinued Pergo flooring from Lowe's and decided to do away with the carpet.  Plus I just love the look and ease of wood floors. 
Our couch had definitely seen better days.  It actually looks like one sectional but its two separate chaises pushed together and stuffed with pillows.  Sneaky.  Once we installed the floors our couches kept sliding apart and the microfiber material was not as easy to keep clean with a dog and a baby.  That is when we decided to get this guy:
It came from Ashley Furniture and is kid and pet friendly!  The dark color is good for hiding stains and it is deep and very comfortable.  I knew as soon as we bought it that I would want to paint the beige walls gray.  I was ready to jump on the gray bandwagon.  So... I painted the couch wall for a FOURTH time!  By this point I should be a professional painter.  My husband thinks I am crazy.  He is so awesome though and just goes with the flow!   Once we had our new couch I felt like it needed something to fill the other part of the room.  I had a vision of two chairs facing the sofa.  We definitely needed more seating!  It took me one whole year to find just the right ones.  Stay tuned for that story!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment